Just a sheer mask

I thought I could hold the hurt in,
I thought I could put mask over,
Hold everything in,
Pretend to live my perfect life,
Till this day I still have,
Wounds that never healed,
Scars that remain etched,
Memories that could bring tears,
I learnt not to trust too much,
Maybe it’s the right thing to do?
Or maybe I’m just afraid of being hurt?
Maybe it’s betrayal I’m afraid of?
Sometimes I face disappointment
When I put too much hope in someone,
When failure seeks,
I feel the walls around me crumble,
Sometimes I would see myself,
Standing laughing in a crowd,
Other times I would see myself,
Standing alone and crying,
Do you see that girl there?
Is all you see a happy face?
Do you see the scarred insides?
Have you ever searched for it?
I feel it all and every single cut,
It hurts, it bleeds and it never fully heals,
I keep it all and never speak of it,
Words cannot express the pain I felt,
Tell me to forget it,
Tell me one ear in one ear out,
Tell me see and forget,
Easy for you to say,
But is it so hard for you,
Just to say three simple words,
That I wish to hear,
“I am sorry”
Everything just crumbles upon,
Buried under a pile of rubble,
There lies my scars,
Above, it’s just a sheer mask…



Gabrielle Jee