Back to school

Bringing in 2007 with a pink sheep...

Remember how I said about good classroom Feng Shui tips for students? So much for giving them when I don't even practice them! I arrived at school at 6.30am and the classroom was already packed like sardines. So, I ended up sitting at the third last row, directly next to the back door of the classroom together with Rhema. Speaking of Feng Shui, I realize how every year I have a pink keychain dangling on my pencil case. Last year it was a pink flower and this year, it's a pink sheep. Anyway, turns out that this year, 4 Science 1 no longer uses the biology lab as our classroom but instead, we took over the 4 Arts 1 classroom on the ground floor of the classroom block. We have 41 students in 4 Science 1 and on the first day, our Additional Maths teacher, Pn Yu Ling, already started teaching. As for the rest of the teachers, they could hardly be bothered. On the second day, Pn Yu Ling gave us a stack of Mathematics and Additional Maths homework. Frankly speaking, I always thought that I spoke extremely fast (commented by my classmates, Clarence and Jason a couple of times) but wow, after I met Pn Yu Ling. I realized that teacher speaks way faster than me, no surprise that she speaks faster than the speed of a Sinkansen! (Sinkansen= Japan's bullet train)

Then, like a bombshell falling out of the sky while I was copying down this year's timetable, I realized that class ends at 1.15pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. That applies for all the Form4 and Form5 students of SMK. St. Teresa, Kuching. Bummer. Instead of 8 periods a day, now we have 9 periods a day. Thankfully, we non-muslims don't have to stay until 1.15pm on Mondays, as the last period of the day was Agama Islam. I'm so relieved! Small change of plans for me on those few days as I have shooting training after school, therefore, I'll have to eat in the car on my way to SMK. St. Thomas and wait the van there. Speaking of shooting, I trained for .22 for my very first time on Wednesday! It was pretty hard to get the prone position right at first but hey, at least I have one 10! Oh, did I mention that my very first shot, I shot Ian's target instead? Hahaha!!! I had a good laugh over that one.

On Friday, we Form4s had to attend an orientation from 8.00am until 11.40am. Before that, we had our monthly First Friday mass and I had to do the reading for the mass. How forgetful of me to forget to bow when I reached the altar before I read! Anway, back to the orientation I was talking about. I tell you, it was incredibly boring! I was sitting there with Rhema, discussing our Add Maths homework until Pn Jennifer comes and asks us that wouldn't it be nice if we actually paid attention to Pn Mary who, was giving a speech on stage. So, there we were shutting our books and then reopening them as Pn Jennifer leaves to the back of the hall. I supposed that we students were making one heck of a racket until Pn Dayang got frustrated and so did Pn Jennifer. So, there was Pn Jennifer telling us that if we didn't want to listen it was okay with her but we should keep quiet. She sorts of contradicts her own words. She said we could keep quiet and not listen. But then, she lectured about how we should not read books or do other stuff while the speaker was speaking on stage. But hey, she said it herself that we could chose to listen or not right? If we didn't listen, obviously that means we would keep quiet and do something else and then when we did so, she would nag. Anyway, they showed this video clip of a couple of prisoners getting caned. What a gruesome sight indeed! You could see the flesh tearing. Imagine the pain when you attempt to sit or shower! Gosh, if students from boys' schools complain about getting a few strokes of rattan, imagine when they undergo prison caning... I dare not imagine.