Food & Shopping & Bones in Kuching

I am sure everyone knows what oysters are. Those slimy grey creatures clad in hard calcium shells that cling onto rocks at sea. I am pretty sure every Malaysian would know what ‘o-chien’ is. It’s some sort of Chinese oyster omelet. It is a really thin sheet of crispy flour and I think there are eggs in it too, fried with oysters so it’s really kind of like a big omelet. So anyway, here’s a conversation I had this morning with the very disorientated Malaysian Donkey…

Malaysian Donkey: I had pork leg and o-chien for lunch.
Me: Hmmm... I want to eat that. I think I am going to ask my dad to bring me go eat o-chien one day.
Malaysian Donkey: Kuching where got o-chien ah!
Me: *thinks of o-chien consumed from Topspot Seafood near Tapangga Tree few weeks ago* Noob!

Later in the evening, here’s a conversation with the Malaysian Donkey who has never eaten ice kacang before. Ice kacang is some sort of local shaved ice desert with Malacca sugar, chendol, red beans and coconut milk. So, I was having ice kacang at this famous ice kacang and rojak shop opposite the police station somewhere at Thompson Corner area, wherever that is. Anyway, this was my conversation with a Malaysian who NEVER had ice kacang before.

Me: I want to show you something when it arrives.
Malaysian Donkey: When what arrives?
Me: Some you sakai never see.
Malaysian Donkey: Oh okay.
Me: Sakai look, this is ice kacang.
Malaysian Donkey: I know how ice kacang looks like.

Anyway, during the afternoon I went to Parkson to find a pair of Emilio Valentino heels for a dinner. So, I found a pair of white semi-full Emilio Valentino heels and they cost RM89.90, a fair price my mum's willing to pay but... *piano falls tumbles from staircase* they only had size 7 and it was a lousy size too big! I went to every other place that I could think of that sold Emilio Valentino shoes and they didn't have the one I wanted! Kuching has such restricted choices of nice shoes and I want flip flops, where can one get Ripcurl, Roxy or some others in Kuching?? It's an impossible task to buy flip flops like that in Kuching. Kuching stinks when it comes to shopping. Something like this or similar, is IMPOSSIBLE to be found in Kuching.

I am so tortured by boredom, especially now that finals are over. There is nothing to do here in Kuching besides going out but going out means spending money. Yesterday night, I went out to Crown Square and ate at some Chinese restaurant there. Bump into my ex-tuition mate from Green Road, Ivan or was it Evan? I had seasonal asam curry fish, honeydew and macadamia vegetables and spinach for dinner. Then, there was the Malaysian Donkey trying to convince me that I am aneroxic.

Malaysian Donkey: Aneroxic.
Me: Am not.
Malaysian Donkey: Are too. BMI please?
Me: 18.3 or 18.4, why?
Malaysian Donkey: ANEROXIC CAT.

Then, today the Malaysian Donkey tried to convince me that I was was suffering from osteoporosis. Delusional. True meaning of it.

Me: Haiya, I got kicked out of my room because they wanted to paint my bedroom door and now no place to sleep.
Malaysian Donkey: Sofa?
Me: They painting downstairs too.
Malaysian Donkey: Sleep on the floor.
Me: Don't want! Last time I slept on the floor in camp, I got a bruise at the side of my pelvic bone!
Malaysian Donkey: Osteoporosis cat!
Me: I do not have osteoporosis! You try sleep on your side on the floor lah. See you get bruise or not.
Malaysian Donkey: I sleep on the floor I don't get bruise.
Me: Males and females got different bone structure.
*launch into pelvic bone debate about female and male pelvic bone structures*
...finally...
Malaysian Donkey: Osteoporosis cat.