National Service

Two years ago, I made fun of Kenny Voon when he was chosen for National Service. Now, my fate awaits me.

Fear, anxiety and anticipation gripped me when Melanie burst into the classroom, announcing that the list of 2009's National Service batch is out. Rhema, Linda and I exchanged looks of horror. As fast as our legs could carry us, we dashed down a flight of stairs and across the school grounds to the Resource Room. Breathless and panting, we hogged the Internet. I dominated the mouse.

The Internet connection was so bloody slow. Pretty soon, about ten of our classmates and schoolmates joined us in the Resource Room. Tension and fear lingered in the air, almost choking us. It felt like a few hundred centuries before the page finished loading. There was that box on the page, asking for our Identification Card numbers, glaring at us sinisterly.

I took in a deep breath and typed my Identification Card number. I waited, waited and waited some more. Finally, the page loaded and it read that I am not selected for National Service. I cheered joyfully and celebrated the good news. However, my bubble of euphoria burst when I realized that was the list of those selected for the 2008 batch.

Turns out, the counselor got our years mixed up and thought we were the 2008 batch. Another false alarm. However... not for long. Gulps.