On The Road

Had my very first driving lesson today together with Max. Driving instructor gave a long talk about the batteries, air filter, engine and so forth. Then, proceeded to telling us this is the steering wheel, push this to signal light, push this to spray water and so forth. Then steps to do when you get into the car and he repeated this twice, in English and in Bahasa Malaysia. This was the boring part of my first driving lesson.

Then, he said "ladies first" and so I got into the driver's seat. Wow! My first time sitting in the driver's seat. Okay, I'm a noob driving student but who cares? We did "mime driving" for a short while and then he said, "okay now release the clutch" and the car moved. I remembered saying, "eh! The car is moving!" and well, obviously. Then, he made me drive out to the main road! I was expecting to just stay in the institution and who knows, drive up and down straight roads. I laughed a lot during driving and "hahaha shit", "what to do now?" and "my goodness" pretty often while driving today.

It was like my very first time driving and I've been thrown into a Kancil and out onto a real road with cars, roundabouts, cornerings, dogs and human beings walking along the road. Thank goodness the engine did not die while I was on the road, thank goodness the gear didn't get stuck while I was changing gears and thank goodness I didn't step on the accelerator instead of the brake. Haha! Anyway, nobody or anything got ran over during my first time driving on the road!

After a couple of rounds on the road, he told me to drive to the circuit in the institutioni Engine died twice there, something about releasing the clutch too abruptly. Anyway, never died after that. He made me do zig-zag driving, weaving in and out of cones. I feel like one of those German Shepherds training for some fitness competition, running between cones. I think the circuit is harder than the road. I'm saying so because the road looks big and haha engine never died on the actual road.

Then drove to this empty patch of cement and he literally told me to drive around in semi circles. Clutch and lots of full steering wheel turning to the right then left then right then left and the whole process repeats. Can see all my tyre threadmarks on the floor. Hahahaha! I think the whole while I was driving less than 40kmph (I think!) but it feels like 80kmph. Bet an old man could walk faster than the speed I was driving at. Haha! Think I wasn't that good for a first timer but neither that terrible either. At least I can change gears fast enough without the engine dying. Haha!

I conclude that my first driving lesson was funny (I couldn't help but laugh at myself while driving) but a little bit nervewrecking at the thought of crashing into curbs, trees or worst still, living creatures. Driving's bit like play the piano (lots of footwork and fingerwork) except that when playing the piano I don't need to look left, right, front, back and the piano doesn't move.